In this post, you are going to see how to root Mi 8 using a few different and easy ways.
We have seen many rooting methods so far such as- King Root, Kingo Root, Towel Root, SuperSU etc. Now the question is are these rooting methods still working for Mi 8? No. even SuperSu is also useless in most of the cases.
The best method to root is by using Magisk. You must have heard about magisk before, You can install magisk manager is Mi 8 using two ways, either by installing Magisk APK or by flashing magisk ZIP.
Magisk Manager contains useful mods or modules, which are may beneficial for you. Even you can also install camera2api in Mi 8 from magisk for using Gcam. If in case your custom ROM doesn’t support it by default.
Now, Can you root Mi 8 using Magisk APK? No !! Magisk apk installation is required only in a few cases and will see in this post when it is required.
If you don’t know the benefits of rooting then do check out why to root Mi 8.
Some, banking or Digital transitions applications may not work after rooting. No problem just see how to hide root from applications in Mi 8.
Reasons To Root Mi 8
- For installing the mods, Custom ROMs, Recoveries in Mi 8.
- To grant Root Access.
Requirements to Root Mi 8
- Must have magisk zip.
- Magisk APK is also required in some cases.
- Must have an unlocked bootloader of Mi 8.
- Make sure you have installed TWRP Recovery, If you want to root Mi 8 Using Magisk ZIP.
- 15 Sec adb installer is required if you will flash patched recovery in Mi 8 Using CMD.
Root Mi 8 Using Magisk Zip
Follow some below steps to flash Magisk ZIP using TWRP.
- First of all poweroff your device.
- Hold the Volume up + Power button to boot Dipper into recovery.
- Tap on the install sections and browse the Magisk ZIP that you have downloaded before.
- Once the zip file gets installed in Dipper tap on the reboot system.
Root Mi 8 Using Patched Images
Make sure, to have a compatible recovery of Mi 8 for patching.
You can share the patched recovery image of dipper with us. So, it would be easy for other users and helpful for me as well.
- Install the latest version Magisk Manager APK in Mi 8.
- Open the Magisk Manager application.
- You will see ”Magisk Not Installed’, Infront of it tap on install.’
- Again, Tap on the install.
- Tap on SELECT AND PATCH A FILE.
- Browse the recovery.img file for Mi 8 (dipper).
- Now, your Recovery image would be patched very soon.
How To Flash Patched Image in Mi 8 using Command Prompt?
- Boot your device into fastboot mode.
- Open the command prompt in your pc.
- Check Mi 8 is successfully connected with PC or Not using command
- To flash the patched Recovery IMG enter the command
fastboot flash recovery path/patched.img
Hide Magisk From Specific APP In Mi 8
Usually, most of the banking applications are not compatible with the rooted Mi 8. But nothing to worry because Magisk manager also has the Root hiding feature.
If you hide magisk root from any application in Mi 8 then that application will never show you a warning or error message regarding the security.
So, let’s hide and bypass the security of banking applications in Mi 8:-
- Open the Magisk Manager application
- Go to magisk hide.
- Select the application to hide the root access.